Getting ready …

… to hand stitch some appliqué circles – silk top, silk appliqué, silk thread.

 
This top was pale pink originally; steamed for 2 hours after dipping in tea, then layering with red rhododendron flowers and red onion skins. The applique fabric was dyed in purple carrot water + alum, then layered with leaves and brown onion skins and steamed for 1.5 hours. Both were wrapped around a rusty trampoline spring.

New design range continues!

 
Eco dyed thrifted dress, with my eco dyed silk fabric and thread as hand-sewn appliqué. I made the jacket from eco dyed cotton remnants; the alpaca scarf is also eco dyed (and crocheted) by me. For sale soon in my online shop!

Isn’t she gorgeous?

 
Love how volunteer model Sarah Parker looks in my entry in the Queensland 2016 Art to Wear Awards! Titled ‘The Making of Mary Mordaunt’, it is made from an eco dyed and rusted vintage slip and a Victorian chemise, to which I’ve added hand stitched and crochet embellishments with vintage silk and shredded paper around the hem. More wearable art entries on their Facebook page.

Crochet added to a thrifted top, ready for eco dyeing

 
I have no idea what fibre this is, except for the silk yarn I used for the crochet trim, so the result could be interesting! Thinking of using Tasmanian blackwood leaves in the dyepot; I also collected blackberry, eucalyptus (2 types) and Tasmanian dogwood leaves this afternoon for the eco printing.

Opening the bundles tomorrow!

Bundles just out of the dye pots.

Photo 1 – wattle bark with washing soda; ironmongery and various leaves in the middle bundle.


Photo 2 – casuarina and melaleuca with copper; ironmongery and various leaves in the bundles.


Photo 3 – eucalyptus with alum; ironmongery and various leaves in the bundles.


Photo 4- banksia with copper; ironmongery and various leaves in the left and middle bundles.


Next 4 photos – leaves, pods and bark foraged from our block of land and used for the eco dyeing shown above.