out of hand

inspirational launch tonight of the out of hand exhibition

here are some of my favourites –

20130927-001354.jpg

20130927-001700.jpg

20130927-001731.jpg

20130927-001801.jpg

20130927-001847.jpg
[stitching and beyond inc, tasmania]

out of hand

worth a look if you’re in Hobart in September – and not just because I’m one of the exhibitors …
out of hand poster 2013

 

bookbinding

i went to a wonderful workshop in hobart last weekend, organised by stitching and beyond inc

our tutors, jenny and elizabeth, were amazing

here is jenny at work100_4508 elizabeth (third from right) gives us some tips

100_4491100_4509it was so inspiring to see and touch the books on display, made by our tutors100_4492here are some of their stunning creations – click on any picture to start the slideshow

with their help, we each made 2 handmade books using either coptic or celtic handstitched binding

all the pages were handcut and folded, and we made our own covers using paper or fabric

i enjoyed the workshop immensely, and am very happy with how my two books turned out100_4519another one is in progress …

circles

i’m a member of a group called stitching and beyond, and each year we have a challenge

the last challenge theme was circles

this entry, by jenny jacobs, is called chains

the entire selection of challenge entries is currently touring the state as a travelling exhibition, compliments of tasmanian regional arts

to view all the exhibits, click here

bark 1

hooray – this afternoon i finished the first stage of my entry for the textile art challenge by stitching and beyond inc, which is ‘bark’

i’ve called it fractured

what was the inspirtion, i hear you ask

well, when i vistied melbourne recently i took some photographs of an amazing tree and a beautiful historic lamp post

they were both near federation wharf next to the yarra river

the bark on the tree was very textural and i knew it would be a wonderful inspiration for the textile art challenge

i tweaked the photos digitally and then printed them onto inkjet-printable fabric

i added some luscious cotton material i had bought for a totally different project but which was just right for this purpose

then i cut up the sections into strips and off-set them, ready to stitch to together again

there is a size requirement with this challenge, so i carefully trimmed the completed sections before adding a strip of sashing and an offset border

amazingly, it all worked out;  it now measures 60 cm x 42 cm – exactly the maximum size allowed

[next:  adding wadding and a backing, before quilting the layers together]