bark 1

hooray – this afternoon i finished the first stage of my entry for the textile art challenge by stitching and beyond inc, which is ‘bark’

i’ve called it fractured

what was the inspirtion, i hear you ask

well, when i vistied melbourne recently i took some photographs of an amazing tree and a beautiful historic lamp post

they were both near federation wharf next to the yarra river

the bark on the tree was very textural and i knew it would be a wonderful inspiration for the textile art challenge

i tweaked the photos digitally and then printed them onto inkjet-printable fabric

i added some luscious cotton material i had bought for a totally different project but which was just right for this purpose

then i cut up the sections into strips and off-set them, ready to stitch to together again

there is a size requirement with this challenge, so i carefully trimmed the completed sections before adding a strip of sashing and an offset border

amazingly, it all worked out;  it now measures 60 cm x 42 cm – exactly the maximum size allowed

[next:  adding wadding and a backing, before quilting the layers together]